Some argue that the “keyboard setup” is superior. Others argue for a “keypad-only” system to make gaming more immersive and accessible from mobile devices.
The argument rages on, with many gamers agreeing in general, but some sticking with their opinions no matter what. The debate will likely continue until VR hits mainstream or keyboards are phased out of existence entirely by keypads!
The “best gaming keypad” is a question that has been asked many times before. There are pros and cons to both setups, so the decision is ultimately up to the user.
While gaming keyboards have long kept the majority of people captive with their mainstream grandeur, a new challenger is gaining traction: the gaming keypad.
To many, it seems like a multimillion-dollar gaming corporation halved the price of a gaming keyboard but failed to halve the price as well. These folks are basically correct, but they overlook the advantages of using a gaming keypad.
One of these two solutions may be better for you than the other, depending on your playing style and major keyboard functions.
Keyboards are ideal for folks who regularly move between typing and gaming. Keypads are preferable for gamers who want to personalize their key bindings to improve their accuracy and comfort while playing. The key binding customisation, distance for your fingers to travel between buttons, and ergonomics are the biggest differences between the two, all of which are improved with a keypad.
But the discussion is more complicated than that. In this essay, I’ll go over what each sort of peripheral is, as well as the benefits and drawbacks of each.
What is the difference between a gaming keyboard and a regular keyboard?
When you think of the typical gamer’s peripherals, a gaming keyboard is probably the first thing that springs to mind. While this isn’t incorrect, non-gamers are typically unaware of the differences between a gaming keyboard and a standard keyboard.
To answer the issue simply, gaming keyboards provide more accuracy, ergonomic comfort, and customisation than standard keyboards.
When gaming, you want great precision and a quick reaction time with each keyboard, since this will affect how well you do in the game. Gaming keyboards provide this to users in varied degrees, whilst normal keyboards are built for simple typing operations.
It’s also worth mentioning that gaming keyboards have different switches than standard keyboards. In today’s gaming keyboards, there are two main kinds of switches: mecha-membrane and purely mechanical.
- Mecha-membrane: these keyboards are meant to have the sensation of a mechanical keyboard, but the actual switches are still made of membrane technology. This gives you greater precision and a faster reaction time than a typical membrane keyboard, but it’s still not as good as a completely mechanical keyboard.
- Mechanical switches give the best accuracy and shortest reaction time of any mainstream keyboard switch. Full mechanical: these keyboards are constructed with mechanical switches, which provide the highest accuracy and fastest response time of any mainstream keyboard switch.
One of the other important benefits of gaming keyboards is the ability to customize them. Many keyboards have RGB lighting built in, with some enabling users to customize the lighting effects.
What is the purpose of a gaming keypad?
Gaming keypads are a relatively new addition to the gaming peripheral market, but they have swiftly established themselves as a viable alternative to gaming keyboards.
Gaming keypads have become an obvious option for the professional gaming niche, as many gamers seek new methods to push themselves and improve their performance.
They usually have half the number of buttons as a standard keyboard, but the keypad itself is meant to be programmable. This enables professional gamers to customize their controls and reduce the distance traveled for each keystroke.
It’s crucial to note that keypads are similar to keyboards, except they have fewer buttons. As a result, gaming keypads use the same switch types as gaming keyboards.
Aside from switch type and decorative elements, there aren’t many variations between the gaming keypads now on the market, although that will certainly change over time.
What Are the Differences Between a Keypad and a Keyboard in Gaming?
Let’s talk about the pros and downsides of each sort of peripheral now that you know what they are. Keep in mind that everyone has their own tastes, and these viewpoints are intended for the whole population.
Gaming on a Keyboard
- Keypads were created primarily to give players with greater ergonomic support for their hands during lengthy gaming sessions. Your fingers need to move less with gaming keypads, and you may configure the keys to your liking, so your hand and fingers are less strained than with keyboards.
- Size: A gaming keypad takes up less room on your desk than a keyboard, allowing you to position it in a better position for your posture. You may improve your accuracy by reducing travel time between keystrokes by using a smaller key area.
- Gaming Performance: Gaming keypads are evolving from a niche accessory to a professional gaming need. The variety of keypads helps gamers improve their play by providing numerous ergonomic and mechanical advantages.
- Key Binding: Keypads are intended to allow users to quickly adjust key bindings to meet their specific gaming demands. Some keypads include the gaming-specific area of the keyboard, while others merely provide a collection of buttons that you’ll have to configure.
- Typing: Using a gaming keypad has the apparent disadvantage of not allowing you to type. Over half of the keyboard is gone, and as a result, over half of your typing capability.
- Learning Curve: Gaming keypads take some getting used to. Players may get upset when they initially make the move due to the time it takes to optimize key bindings and learn a new method to play.
- Gaming keypads are less developed than gaming keyboards since they haven’t been around as long. For the time being, keypads are essentially smaller, more customized keyboard alternatives. They may, however, become considerably more useful and appealing to a larger audience in the future.
Gaming on a Keyboard
- Durability: With appropriate maintenance and care, gaming keyboards, especially mechanical ones, may survive for years. The overall design of the keyboard allows for minimum stress on each individual key, extending the life of the keys and switches.
- Mechanical switches are built specifically for gaming keyboards, giving them a far faster reaction time than conventional keypads. Serious gamers who rely on lightning-fast reflexes with each keyboard may notice a significant difference.
- Accuracy: Gaming keyboards have a bigger surface area than keypads, allowing for more precision. The keys are simpler to push down with your fingertips since they are elevated in height, and the switch design allows for optimum accuracy.
- Typing: Once again, one of the most apparent advantages of keyboards is the capacity to type on them. This is particularly crucial for gamers who do not wear a headset and depend on chat interactions, as well as casual players who use their computer for purposes other than gaming.
- Price: These days, gaming keyboards come with a broad range of features and functions. As the market became saturated, costs grew in tandem with quality, making contemporary gaming keyboards a costly commodity. Due to the lesser quantity of material required in keypads and the reduction in functionalities, keypads are often less expensive than keyboards of equivalent grade.
- Noise: When gaming keyboards with mechanical or mecha-membrane switches are in operation, they create a lot of noise, which might be a deal breaker for some. Although keypads create noise, they are quieter than the normal gaming keyboard due to their small size and switches.
- Cleaning: Cleaning gaming keyboards may be tough due to the mechanical switches being larger and spaced inconveniently. Also, if you don’t want to pay someone else to repair a switch, you’ll need to know how to change it yourself.
Is it possible to type on a gaming keyboard?
The switches involved are the fundamental distinction between a gaming keyboard and a standard keyboard. A gaming keyboard, on the other hand, can type just as well as, if not better than, normal keyboards.
If you’re looking for ergonomics, gaming keyboards often don’t have the same designs as ergonomic keyboards. However, they often include a wrist rest, which is sufficient for some individuals.
Is it possible to program my keypad for typing?
Most likely not. A gaming keypad simply does not have enough keys to program all of the letters of the alphabet. Even so, it’s significantly less handy than just purchasing a keypad and a low-quality keyboard for typing needs.
It’s essentially the same as attempting to play games on a normal PC, although even then, a basic PC could run certain simple games. A keypad is basically worthless for typing.
It’s worth noting that many games allow you to program buttons on your keypad to communicate shortcuts, so all hope is not lost. Simply said, don’t expect to be writing dissertations on a gaming keyboard.
There are several distinctions between gaming keyboards and gaming keypads, and the truth is that everyone has different gaming tastes. For some individuals, a gaming keypad makes sense, but gaming keyboards appeal to a far larger audience.
Consider a gaming keypad if you’re a passionate gamer looking to push yourself and improve your performance. A gaming keyboard will likely be your best pick if you’re a casual player looking for some flexibility in your next peripheral buy.
Watch This Video-
The “best gaming keypad 2020” is a question that many people ask themselves. The answer to this question can be found in the “Keyboard vs. Keypad Gaming: Which Setup Is Better?” article.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are gaming keypads better than keyboards?
A: Gaming keypads are better than keyboards because with a gaming keyboard, you will have to use your hands for the controls. With a gaming keypad however, these can be programmed into the game and used without having to touch anything on your computer.
Do I need a keypad for gaming?
A: Yes, you will need a keypad for all important functions.
Is a gaming pad worth it?
A: In my opinion, I would say yes. The amount of control you get is great and the accuracy it offers is really helpful. And if you dont have one or cant afford one at the moment, then a gamepad isnt necessary either because they are not required to play Beat Saber!
- keyboard vs keypad reddit
- do pro gamers use keypads
- razer tartarus
- logitech gaming keypad
- custom gaming keypad