A home server is a computer that has been dedicated to performing one or more tasks on behalf of other computers on the same network. This can be a service such as file-sharing, print services, and web hosting. The key differentiator between these types of servers is that they are usually restricted to only being accessible by those machines identified in their configuration files.
The “best home server software 2021” is a topic that many people are interested in. The 5+ best home server software for Windows and Linux are listed below.
Milan Stanojevic is a writer who lives in Belgrade, Serbia.
Expert in Windows and Software
Milan has been fascinated by computers since he was a youngster, and this has led him to be interested in all PC-related technology. He worked as a front-end web developer before joining WindowsReport. Continue reading
29th of December, 2021
Publish date: August 2020
- When you have a network of computers in the same location, sharing data among users might take a long time.
- A home network will improve your life if you often need to transmit a large number of files between users.
- To enhance workflows and stream any form of material, you should consider a home server for your devices.
- Continue reading for a list of some of the top home servers on the market to assist you in making your decision.
If you have a network of computers in your house with files and folders that are shared by all users, you know how laborious and time-consuming it can be to transfer these files and directories from one computer to another.
This is why you need a home server, which is a computer with a hard drive, is linked to the internet, is available 24 hours a day, and serves as your physical file storage system.
As a result, a home server enables any device in your home network to effortlessly access shared files and folders at any time.
A home server, like any other computer, need software to function, and in this post, we’ll go over some of the finest home server software available to get you started.
- Capability to stream media in a robust manner
- Every PC has a daily image-based backup.
- It’s simple to keep track of your server.
- You may either recover individual files or your whole computer.
- On-demand remote assistance on your PC
Microsoft’s server software allows you to access your files and media from any computer in your house, whether you’re at home or not.
This program lets you preserve, organize, and link all of your media assets in one central area. It’s designed for households and home-based enterprises with several PCs.
Due to Windows Server 2019’s 64-bit capabilities, you may expand your storage capacity by adding external hard drives or installing add-ins to fully leverage your home network.
As a result, our Windows server solution ensures high-quality file management while also providing the customer with a lifetime license.
This home server software was created with limited locations in mind, such as your house or a small company.
Amahi is a powerful, easy-to-use application that allows you to stream and share your media files across all of your devices and displays. You can also manage all of your storage requirements, whether it’s for entertainment or crucial information.
One of the benefits of Amahi is that it has one of the biggest app stores, allowing you to expand your server to perform whatever you want with a single click.
Furthermore, such a fantastic solution gives entire software support for your devices by connecting all of your physical devices to a server.
As a result, you may manage all of your data across your home devices to establish shared storage for your family or for important business purposes.
Amahi is your best choice if you choose to create or develop your home server from a basic context.
- Compatibility across several platforms
- Over 20 languages are supported.
- Has a vast app store for media apps and online apps.
- It’s a ready-to-use operating system.
- You’ll need to purchase certain plug-ins.
- Only 64-bit processors are supported.
Subscribe to Amahi’s home server software.
Ubuntu Server Edition is one of the most popular home server operating systems in the world, with capabilities for remote backup, file serving, and video streaming.
It’s noted for its simplicity of use, as well as an automatic installation that makes installing its components simpler than doing so manually, and it comes with a variety of programs to link your home server with your home network.
Customers may have their issues fixed quickly with the Ubuntu Advantage service program, and they have direct access to Ubuntu professionals via their world-class support system.
Ubuntu Server may be accessed in a number of ways, including virtual machine installation, manual server installation, and automatic server provisioning.
As a result, if you need dependable server assistance for your home gadgets, this open-source server provider is a good choice. It will undoubtedly assist any user in efficiently managing file batches.
- Support of the highest caliber
- It may be used anyplace.
- Simplicity and speed
- Flexible and safe
Ubuntu Server Edition is available for download.
This home server software is an operating system that allows you to access your files and data from a single location.
FreeNAS is a highly versatile, enterprise-ready open source file system that solves most of the shortcomings of older file systems. It can be deployed on any hardware platform and is utilized with ZFS.
The following are some of the key features of the FreeNAS home server software:
- File sharing: SMB/CIFS (for Windows), NFS, AFP, FTP, iSCSI, WebDAV, and other file sharing protocols are supported by FreeNAS.
- Data protection: FreeNAS protects your data using ZFS, which is built for data integrity and enables single parity blocks that correct faulty data, so you can rest easy knowing your files are safe.
- Encryption: You may use FreeNAS to generate passwords to secure your data from loss or theft.
- FreeNAS also has a snapshot and replication function that allows you to take screenshots of the whole file system and view them at any time. Snapshots allow you to retrieve your files exactly as they were at the moment of the snapshot, and earlier snapshots may be viewed or replicated to restore data from file systems, much like local backups.
- Web interface: FreeNAS provides a simple, user-friendly web interface that makes even the most difficult administration chores easy to perform.
- Backup services: For Windows and other operating systems, FreeNAS provides backup functionality.
- Plugins: FreeNAS comes with a slew of plugins, including BitTorrent, Couchpotato, Gamez, and Plex compatibility, to name a few. You may also build and distribute plugins for whatever you desire, such as media streaming or web apps – the possibilities are endless.
All of your data may be protected, backed up, and stored at home with FreeNAS home server software.
- Anyone may utilize this user-friendly online interface.
- It’s completely free.
- It’s a ready-to-use operating system.
- You may use a hard disk, an optical disc, or even a flash drive to operate it.
- Enhances productivity
- System that is adaptable
- It requires very minimal RAM (96MB)
- There are no storage restrictions.
This program is a NAS (network attached storage) solution based on the Debian Linux operating system.
This utility provides a number of system services and may also be used as a plugin. SSH, SFTP, and DAAP media servers are among the services available with this modular interface.
Tiny enterprises or small home office organizations who need to manage files and access data utilizing network storage are the objective of OpenMediaVault software.
Furthermore, since this service is available online, customers may utilize it for file sharing, email alerts, link aggregation, and volume control at their leisure.
As a result, if you’re looking for dependable out-of-the-box software that can assist you with your media server requirements, go no further than this.
Rockstor, a personal server service that allows you to store data and retrieve it instantaneously, is the third option on our list.
Apart from other devices’ storage, this program supports Linux servers and BTRFS in data administration. As a result, you may create a private cloud server to manage and distribute your data without any restrictions.
As a result, you may benefit from safer file access since you can filter through a large amount of data without the need for many devices or large memory cards.
Furthermore, by selecting this option, you will save money on additional storage, improve privacy and speed, and have access to your data from any mobile device.
In compared to public cloud storage, such practical software is definitely the best solution. This is due to the increased privacy, cost savings, anti-theft protection, and other benefits.
When you have a private cloud storage solution like this, you don’t need to depend on other common apps.
This open-source platform combines free open-source technologies to provide your home network an easy, low-cost hybrid experience.
You get to enjoy the ClearOS home server experience while only paying for the goods and services you truly need thanks to free open source technology.
This aspect of integration is what makes ClearOS home server software unique, but it also delivers a user-friendly, simple-to-use, and intuitive web-based graphical user interface for quick and easy setup and installation.
The built-in, rapidly expanding online app store – Marketplace – offers over 100 applications and services, allowing you to enjoy a free app library while paying for, downloading, and installing just the programs you really need.
- Over 80 languages are supported.
- Setup, installation, and usage are all simple.
- There is a free downloaded version included.
- You only pay for applications that you really need.
- The online app shop is expanding.
We’ve reached the end of our list. If you’re still undecided about which tools to install, go through each software’s description again and choose the one that best fits your requirements.
Let us know if you’ve tried any additional home server tools that you believe we should include in our list in the comments section below.
Most Commonly Asked Questions
Was this page of assistance to you? 2
Thank you very much!
There are insufficient details It’s difficult to comprehend Other Speak with a Professional
Start a discussion.
Watch This Video-
The “file server software” is a computer program that allows users to share files and folders with other computers on the network. There are many options for file server software, but these five are some of the best ones.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best server software for home use?
A: The best home server software is one that guarantees the least amount of downtime as possible. This can be achieved by minimizing data transfer, and maximizing security features.
Which Linux distro is best for home server?
A: The answer to this question depends on what your needs are. For example, if you need stability, then the best Linux distro for a home server is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. If you want more customization and tinkering options, consider using Arch or Fedora Core 28
Is Linux or Windows better for servers?
A: Windows is a better platform for servers due to its wide compatibility with server software.
- windows home server 2020
- best home server 2020
- windows home server free download
- best home server setup
- best home server hardware 2021